Four Wheeled Dog Cart a.k.a. Dog Cart Phaeton Circa 1895
This carriage was manufactured by the Wood Brothers Company of New York, New York. It derived its name from the two wheeled carts used in England used to transport hunters and their dogs. As more cargo was carried, the design changed to accommodate four wheels and the term ‘phaeton’ became more appropriate. This tie to an English mode of transportation fit the carriage’s original owners, Fred and Margaret Boice who lived on the PO Ranch outside of Cheyenne. The Boices’ raised horses and broke them for Eastern trade. Even when automobiles all but ended the demand for horses, the Boices’ still used only horse-drawn vehicles.
Fred and Margaret Boice were instrumental in creating organized parades for Cheyenne Frontier Days. In 1925, Margaret began the historical vehicle section of the parade for which Cheyenne Frontier Days is still known. This phaeton is owned by Cheyenne Frontier Days and is paraded each year.